Saturday, November 5, 2011

Take your moments where you can get them.


I feel like life keeps me pretty busy. Not soccer-mom busy, but busy enough that I never feel like I have enough time for anything. This is basically a lie I tell myself so that I can procrastinate and avoid my responsibilities. It’s not like I do it on purpose, though. For some reason, my brain wants to put an hours worth of padding on either side of any activity I want to do. Everything seems to require a huge block of time. If I stay a half an hour late at work, I suddenly no longer can do anything else in the evening.
I know it’s stupid, but it’s still how my brain seems to operate. 

So today’s advice, to myself and everyone else, is to take your moments where you can get them. Of course it’s always nice to have all the time in the world to relax, get into the zone, have hours of uninterrupted focus. How realistic is that though, really? You need to train your brain to do what you want when you want it. “Okay, I have 30 minutes until I need to leave. Now is the time to write a blog post, or else I’ll just put it off and put it off waiting for the perfect moment.” So here I am, stealing these twenty minutes back from myself so I can post a blog instead of… I don’t know. Reading Failblog.org or something. 

This is one of those things I hope to carry with me far beyond November.  It seems basic but it’s also easy to forget that moment to moment, we are ultimately in control of what we choose to do. How are you spending your time? Are you satisfied with that or are there things you wish you were doing? If there are, why in the world aren’t you doing them?

*****

Word count as of 11/5/11, 3:40 PM ET: 4179. Yes, I'm behind. But I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment